Special Educational Needs
The St Leonards Academy is committed to developing the best possible provision it can for students with additional educational needs, in a mainstream setting. We endeavour to make every effort to achieve maximum inclusion of all students whilst meeting students’ individual needs and recognising the entitlement of all students to a balanced, broadly based curriculum.
We have a specialist facility for students with physical, sensory impairments and students who have difficulties identified on the autistic spectrum. All of the facility students must have a statement of special educational needs or an education health care plan (EHCP).
Curriculum access and provision
The academy will adopt the levels of intervention as described in the special educational needs (SEN) code of practice which advocates a graduated response to meeting students’ needs. For students with statements or EHCP's we will meet the recommendations on the statement or plan accordingly.
The range of provision will include:
- In class shared support from a teaching assistant
- multi sensory literacy and numeracy support in small groups
- individual or small group opportunities for speech and language programmes
- access to social skills/social use of language groups
- participation in occupational therapy programmes
- access to specialist equipment as appropriate.
Support for special facility students will include:
- access to physiotherapy
- access to hydrotherapy
- funded transport to and from school (as agreed by the local authority).
For further information, please contact our special educational needs co-ordinator, Clare Howard-Le Vierge firstname.lastname@example.org
To access our special educational needs and disabilities policy, please visit the Trust policies page