Free School Meals
Your children are eligible for Free School Meals if you are in receipt of
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Jobseekers Allowance (Income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Pension Credit
- Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit ONLY with an annual income of under £16,190 per year
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Children eligible for free school meals on or after 1 April 2018 will remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022, even if your circumstances change.
East Sussex County Council require that all new starters to a school apply online (even if they received this assistance at their previous school), whether they have moved from outside East Sussex, from another school in the County, or even from another school in Hastings and St Leonards. Please complete the application form online. All your children should be included on the one form, regardless of which school they attend.
ESCC has an Electronic Checking Service which may be able to confirm entitlement, but if not, you may need to show The Academy up-to-date written proof that you meet the qualifying criteria. We regret that Free School Meals will not be given until this has been done.
St Leonards Academy's cashless canteen
The St Leonards Academy operates a cashless canteen. Your son/daughter will be required to register on the system and, until your eligibility has been confirmed, money will need to be loaded onto their account in order for them to receive lunch.
Once Free School Meals have been set up there will be no need for them to bring cash to load onto their account. Alternatively, your son/daughter can bring in a packed lunch until their entitlement for Free School Meals has been confirmed.
Questions about free school meals?
Contact Student Reception at The St Leonards Academy or Children Services at County Hall, Lewes on 0300 3309472.